RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra: Upcoming Premieres
A short video profiling the recent and upcoming work of the RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra featuring Irish composers' music, including interviews with Brian O'Rourke, General Manager of the orchestra, and composers Benjamin Dwyer and John Buckley, whose works were recently performed as part of the orchestra's Horizons series.
The RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra begins 2009 with a number of concerts featuring the work of Irish composers. The orchestra's Horizons series of lunchtime concerts, which began in January, concludes on 3 February with a performance of Derek Ball's music, while the orchestra premieres new works by Gerald Barryon 6 February and Fergus Johnston on 24 February as part of its Friday night subscription series of concerts at the National Concert Hall, Dublin.
Interviews for this feature were recorded during January 2009 at the Contemporary Music Centre and the National Concert Hall, Dublin.
The views expressed in this video are those of the persons concerned and are not necessarily the views of the Contemporary Music Centre.
- Upcoming premieres by Gerald Barry and Fergus Johnston in February
- The orchestra's commitment to performing new music
- The importance of commissioning orchestral works by Irish composers
- The commissioning process
- Working with the RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra as a composer
- RTÉ/Arts Council series of recordings of Irish composers' works
- RTÉ lyric fm Composer-in-Residence
|0:10||A Mirror into the Light, John Buckley [RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra, conductor Gavin Maloney] ©RTÉ|
|4:30||Rajas, Sattva Tamas, Benjamin Dwyer [Richard O'Donnell (perc-solo), RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra, conductor Nicholas Kok] ©RTÉ|
|9:45, 13:45||Samara, Raymond Deane [RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra, conductor Gerhard Markson] ©RTÉ|