Culture Night 2018
21 September 2018 17:00
This year’s annual Culture Night takes place on 21 September and venues and public spaces across the island of Ireland will open their doors to host a programme of free late-night entertainment, as part of an all-island celebration of arts, heritage and culture.
Here is our round-up of some of the music events featuring Irish composers taking place across the country as part of event. Explore each of these events by clicking on the links or the images below.
- CMC presents Xenia, a pop-up opera by Nick Roth originally created for Bealtaine 2018
- A performance by the Quiet Music Ensemble in Birr, Co. Offally of Karen Power’s sonic pollinators, a work based on recordings of bees, plants and their surrounding habitats in Offaly
- A new work by Vincent Kennedy composed for amateur orchestra and local youth groups in Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown premieres at Moran Park, dlr Lexicon Dún Laoghaire.
- Jennifer Walshe’s multi-faceted exhibition Aisteach: the Avant-Garde Archive of Ireland combines visual art, literature, film, performance and music is on display at The Model Niland Gallery, The Mall, Sligo. The Gallery presents a series of events for Culture Night curated by Jennifer Walshe in response to her solo exhibition Aisteach.
- Séamus de Barra gives a talk in Cork County Hall on composer Aloys Fleischmann’s work
More information on Culture Night here.
(image from Karen Power's Sonic Pollinators)