The King House Piano Commission 2020/2021
The King House Piano Commission 2020/2021 marks the first in a series of music commissions by Roscommon County Council, in celebration of the grand piano at King House. The Steinway Grand Piano was purchased by Roscommon County Council in 2000 through the Arts Council Joint Purchase Scheme. The commission will also celebrate the history and heritage of the county through uplifting, exceptional music, reflecting the lives of Roscommon people.
The 2020 commission to the value of €8,000 is funded by the Arts Office of Roscommon County Council together with the Arts Council of Ireland, in collaboration with Boyle Arts Festival and in association with the Contemporary Music Centre.
The commission invites composers to respond with a work for small ensemble (approx. 4 players). This work for small ensemble must include piano and should be developed in collaboration with a pianist. The 2020 commission (for performance in 2021) should cross the genres of classical and traditional Irish music. It is desirable that the ensemble formed for the performance of this new work is a creative collaboration between performers from both classical and traditional music performance practice. The piece will be premiered by the ensemble at a concert during Boyle Arts Festival 2021 (15th – 24th July).
How to Apply:
Roscommon County Council Arts Office invites professional composers to submit applications for consideration for this commission comprising:
- Maximum two-page project proposal outlining the artist vision, concepts and timeline.
- The work should be 15-20mins duration.
- Name of collaborating pianist.
- A current one-page CV for composer and pianist.
- Links to recent work on recognised platforms such as YouTube, SoundCloud, Vimeo.
- Examples of previous commissions.
Applications should demonstrate the following:
- Clear track record of composer and pianist.
- A work which reflects the commission themes and objectives of being exceptional, uplifting, cross genres classical/traditional, and relevant to Roscommon in 2020/21.
- High artistic merit.
- Clearly achievable in the timeframe and budget outlined.
In these ever-changing times we live in, the performance should be planned as both a physical and online event.
Completed applications should be emailed by 4pm on Friday 30th October to email@example.com, with the subject King House Piano Commission
For further information and submission details please see the attached pdf.rcc_commission_-_final.pdf