2020 West Cork Chamber Music Festival - 13th Composition Competition for Young Composers.
String Quartet Composition Competition for Irish citizens/residents under 35.
The winning works will be premiered at The 25th West Cork Chamber Music Festival 26 June – 5 July 2020
We are delighted to announce that the 13th West Cork Chamber Music Young Composers’ Competition is now open for entries. We welcome submissions from all Irish and Irish-resident composers under 35. Past judges of this competition include Donnacha Dennehy, Lera Auerbach, Brett Dean and Andrea Tarrodi. The adjudicator for the 2020 Competition will be the great Irish composer, Deirdre Gribbin.
Past winners of the Competition include Seán Doherty (whose most recent work ‘I am the World’ was commissioned by the European Federation for Choral Music), Solfa Carlile and Amanda Feery, (both winners of the Seán Ó Riada competition), Robert Coleman (NCH Jerome Hynes competition winner) and Finola Merivale (a Dean’s Fellow at Columbia University). Congratulations again to the 2019 winners, James May, Robin Haigh, inti figgis-vizueta and Timothy Doyle.
- Scored for string quartet (2 violins, 1 viola and 1 cello). Works requiring other instruments, pre-recorded sounds or electronics are not eligible for consideration.
- 5-8 minutes duration.
- Has not been performed in concert prior to its performances at the 2020 West Cork Chamber Music Festival.
The competition will be judged anonymously and the international judge will select four winning scores on equal footing. Each of the four composers will receive:
- €750 prize money.
- 3 nights’ accommodation at the festival.
- 2 public performances of their work by a conservatoire quartet at the West Cork Chamber Music Festival. The second will be the official World Premiere played at the quartet’s Town Concert (a date in early July).
- The first performance will be at a workshop attended by all four composers and the public. The composer will have a chance to discuss their work with the international adjudicator and the musicians. The assigned conservatoire quartets will perform the works as they are workshopped and experiment with compositional suggestions.
- Each composer will have an opportunity to work with the performers prior to the work’s Town Concert performance.
- Competition entry is free
Please submit the full score electronically to Helen Dawson at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please see the attached pdf for further submission details composition_competition_2020.pdf