|nurturing the composition and performance of new Irish music|
|Contemporary Music Centre
19 Fishamble Street, Temple Bar, Dublin 8, Ireland
Tel: +353-1-673 1922 Fax: +353-1-648 9100
Email: email@example.com Website: www.cmc.ie
For Immediate Release
St Stephen's Green Celebrations
Dublin 19 July 2005
A free outdoor concert takes place on the Bandstand at St Stephen's Green at lunchtime on 27 July 2005.
This concert is part of a week of celebrations marking the 125th anniversary of the gift of St Stephen's Green by Lord Ardilaun to the citizens of Dublin.
A new work by Irish composer Benjamin Dwyer has been commissioned under the percent for art scheme by the Office of Public Works for this concert. Entitled Enclave it is for large ensemble including voices and will be performed by the new music ensemble VOX21 with conductor David Brophy.
Dwyer's work forms the centrepiece of a varied hour-long programme which includes music and jazz as well as poetry readings. It will be compered by Denis Costello of RTE LyricFM, which broadcasts from the Green on the day. A range of children's activities also take place, and other celebratory events are planned every day from 20 July to 1 August.
Dublin-born composer and guitarist Benjamin Dwyer studied music at the Dublin Institute of Technology, Conservatory of Music and at Trinity College, Dublin. His work is regularly performed in Ireland and overseas. He was elected to Aosdána, Ireland's state-sponsored academy of creative artists, in 2005. Dwyer is a regular broadcaster on national radio and is artistic director of the Bank of Ireland Mostly Modern concert series and VOX21.
This commission was made possible through the percent for art scheme administered by the Office of Public Works. The commissioning process was facilitated by the Contemporary Music Centre.
A CD of the new work will be recorded by RTÉ LyricFM, jointly funded by RTÉ LyricFM and the Office of Public Works.
Notes for Editors
Programme of Events
St Stephens Green Park celebrating 125 years under OPW Management
Programme of Events 20 July - 1 August 2005
Lord Ardilaun secured the St. Stephen's Green Act in 1887 entrusting the maintenance of the Green to the Commissioners of Public Works. The restored Green was opened to the public on 27th July 1880, under the care of the OPW. To celebrate the 125th anniversary of the opening of this National Historic Park to the public, the Commissioners are hosting a programme of free events for the public. For further information ring Michael at 01-4757816.