Awards and Other Opportunities
Arts Council Awards
Full details and application forms for all Arts Council awards may be viewed or downloaded as PDF files from its web site or obtained in hard copy by contacting the Council's offices, Callsave 1850-392 492 or +353-(0)1-618 0200.
- Travel and Training Awards
Deadline: Ongoing, see web site for specifics.
Open to artists and people working professionally in the arts 'to support training and other professional development opportunities through international travel' as well as 'individuals/organisations who want to bring in specialists from abroad to deliver high-level training or mentoring directed at the professional development of artists'. Awards max. €12,000.
Jack Quartet Composition Workshop, Ireland
Deadline: 1 November 2013
Moving on Music seek submissions from composers for consideration for a Composition Workshop by the JACK Quartet (NYC) at the MAC, Belfast on Friday 17th January 2013. Composers will benefit from the experience of hearing their work played by the JACK and gaining from their expert guidance. The quartet will offer immediate feedback on the composer’s work, notation and techniques. Each composer will receive approximately 40 minutes. The works will be recorded by Moving on Music and provided to the composers for archival and private use. Participation in the workshop is FREE.
This composer opportunity is presented in association with the Contemporary Music Centre Ireland (CMC). CMC will provide support towards the costs of travel and accommodation. Please indicate approximate costs of both in applying.
Conditions of Entry:
- Open to NI/Irl born composers or composers resident or studying in NI/Irl
- Composers should be studying at postgraduate level minimum
On the basis of the information supplied the JACK Quartet will select five composers/works for participation in the workshop. Places will be allocated as follows:
How to Apply:
- 4 composers from NI or living/studying in NI
- 1 composer from Irl or living/studying in Irl
To apply for inclusion in the workshop, please send the following information to Paula McHugh, Moving on Music via email firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A short biography and contact details
- A brief programme note of the proposed work
- A statement outlining why you are interested in the workshop and how you might benefit
- A score of the completed work, in pdf format only
- Please use subject heading: JACK - CALL FOR SCORES
In addition to the five composers selected, the workshop is open to any composers or student composer or performers to attend as audience members. As well as commenting on individual works the JACK will offer general advice on composition and string techniques.
For queries in relation to the workshop, contact Paula McHugh at MOM + 44 028 90248818
Phizzfest: Open Call On Street Events 1-5 May 2014, Ireland
Deadline: 15 November 2013
Phizzfest, celebrating its 5th year in 2014, is based in the urban village of Phibsborough in the heart of Dublin 7. Recognising the Arts' capacity as an agent for change, Phizzfest, strives to build community identity and cohesion, strengthen social networks and reclaim a sense of place. We aim to provide quality, engaging arts experiences culminating in an annual arts festival on the May Bank Holiday weekend.
For the 2014 festival, we are particularly interested in projects that increase the on-street visibility of the festival and ideas to mark the 100th anniversary of the arrival of cinema in Phibsborough. Phizzfest would like to invite submissions from artists, groups, performers and curators for on-street projects and events to take place in the open spaces and on the streets of Phibsborough throughout Phizzfest 2014.
Project and event ideas should be submitted by email to email@example.com and should include the following information:
- A detailed description of the project or event (max 300 words)
- Previous relevant experience (max 200 words)
- A budget projection
- Supporting information such as reviews, images, audio, video and links to online resources
- Details of how you can help promote the project or event
- Your contact details (name, address, email address and mobile number)
UCD art in science bringing artists and scientists together, Dublin
Deadline: 20 November
UCD Art In Science, is a dynamic practice based programme that brings artists and scientists from undergraduate to professional levels, together in collaborative work.
Through our Artist In Residence Programme and two undergraduate elective modules we develop creative new ways to excite, inspire and communicate across the traditional boundaries of our disciplines and beyond.
SPOR Festival 2014 Call for Proposals, Denmark
Deadline: 25 November 2013
SPOR festival for contemporary music and sound art invites all composers and sound artists to submit a proposal for a new work to be realized at SPOR 2014.
The proposal may describe a wide range of projects, from works for ensemble and music theatre pieces to sound installations.
In 2014 the festival will focus on the ability of the individual - whether composer or performer - to take on multiple roles and explore multiple strands of artistic enquiry. This spirit of openness can for instance be seen when performers are willing to play their instruments as move as use their voices - or when artists creates their works using multiple skills or resources within their own network.
The proposal should reflect the theme of the festival, handle it either concrete or more abstract.
Five proposals willl be realized at SPOR 2014. Each selected composer/artist/group of artists will receive a fee of € 1000 for realizing the work. SPOR will cover travel expenses of up to €200 and provide two night's accommodation in Aarhus, Denmark.
Sky Arts and IdeasTap Futures Fund, UK
Deadline: 6 December 2013
Open to musicians and composers in Ireland or the UK aged 18-30. The bursaries are designed to help talented individuals from a range of creative disciplines focus on their creative practice for a whole year. In addition to the funding, winners are paired with creative and business mentors to support their development.
The Futures Fund is open to UK and Irish applicants working in the following fields:
- Performing arts theatre-makers including directors, producers, puppeteers
- Dance including dancers and choreographers
- Music including composers, conductors, musicians and songwriters
- Visual art including painters, photographers, animators, digital artists
- Creative producing - for people who bring together different artists
- Creative writing including playwrights, novelists and poets
Call for Expression of Interest from Composers, Ireland
Deadline: 11 December 2013
Cavan County Choir was formed in 2013 under the auspices of the Culture Cavan, International Fund for Ireland project. The Choir will continue in 2014 under the guidance of Blanaid Murphy, Conductor supported by Cavan County Council and the Arts Council. To celebrate their achievements to date and reflect their vibrancy and the cultural energy of County Cavan, Cavan County Council wishes to commission a new piece of choral music. The new composition will be beneficial to the choir and expand their musical potential.
Requirements and Timeframe:
We will have a selection committee and the following criteria will be applied:
- The Choral piece will be no longer than 10 minutes and can be less.
- The Composer will facilitate 2 workshops with the County Choir of approximately 2 hours (each) between January and March 2014 to suit the Choir.
- The lyrics / words will be provided by a poet familiar with the County.
- The final piece will be available to the choir no later than Thursday 8 May with a performance on Saturday 21 June 2014.
- The Composer will be paid in line with the recommendations of the Contemporary Music Centre and their level of experience.
- The successful Composer will provide parts and scores.
Please apply in writing and submit:
- Composer's track record or evidenced potential
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to deliver within timeframe
- An A4 letter of expression of interest
- An outline of how you would respond to the brief (no longer than 500 words)
- 2 - 3 music samples that you consider reflect your work and will provide us with a true representation of your vision CV
No Email submission or web links please. Material submitted will not be returned. Send applications to:
Cavan County Choir
Farnham St, Cavan
West Cork Chamber Music Festival Composition Workshop for Young Irish Composers 2014
Deadline: 10 January, 2014
The West Cork Chamber Music Festival, in partnership with the Contemporary Music Centre, Ireland announces details of the 2014 West Cork Chamber Music Festival Composition Workshop for Young Irish Composers. Young composers are invited to submit string quartet works-in-progress for consideration at a workshop to be led by composer Deirdre Gribbin with the RTÉ Vanbrugh Quartet in Dublin on Friday 7 February.